Paronychia Treatment Overview
First steps to consider
- Most infections around the nail can be treated at home, as long as you don’t have an abscess (pocket of pus).
- Try warm soaks 2–3 times a day, and apply an OTC antibacterial cream after soaking.
- OTC pain relievers like Advil or Tylenol can help the pain.
When you may need a provider
- You have an abscess with the infection—you may need antibiotics.
- At home treatments don’t improve your symptoms in about 5 days.
Call 911 or go to the ER if you have any of the following symptoms:
- Swelling and redness starts to move up your fingers and or toes
- You have bone pain in the infected fingers or toes.
The suppliers listed follow Buoy’s clinical guidelines, but listing the suppliers does not constitute a referral or recommendation by Buoy. When you click on the link and/or engage with these services Buoy will be compensated.